Welcome to The Gables Medicentre
Dr Mike Downing
Updated: Friday 27th March 2020.
I know that many of our patients have come to know Dr Mike Downing over the last ten years as he has worked alongside us all at the Practice. It is with much sadness that I have to inform you that Dr Downing has sadly passed away. His passing was sudden and unexpected as a result of a stroke. Our condolences and thoughts are with his wife and family at this difficult time.
Due to the Coronavirus issues and the rapid pace of advice and change, we are now dedicating this Home Page to information relating to advice & guidance about Coronavirus, how our services are changing to accomodate this and how we all, as individuals need to act to reduce the possible impact of this virus on ALL of us.
Self -isolation timescales: If you or a member of your household has symptoms of Covid-19 you need to self-isolate, even if your work is deemed "essential". See the latest guidance on who needs to isolate completely and for how long. You will still be subject to the current restricted movements directions once your symptoms have resolved.
We understand that there are reports about childhood vaccinations being suspended in the media. Please be aware, this is NOT the case. All routine childhood immunisations should take place as planned. You will be contacted by our staff on the day of your appointment to ensure that you do not have any symptoms and that your household is not subject to self-isolation. If this is the case you should NOT attend and we will re-schedule the appointment for as soon as possible.It is important that these vaccinations are given to minimise the risk of other diseases.If the guidance changes, we will update this site.
Keeping Well during self-isolation & social distancing
We understand that these are difficult times for everyone and that the changes to our routine can cause us to feel anxious and low in mood. We have detailed some links below of organisations that offer support and assistance. Locally, some volunteers have organised themselves to offer assistance to those who are not able to arrange shopping or urgent supplies. For the Allesley village area you can call or e-mail :All Saints Church, Allesley on 024 76 402006 or e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org
Mind - Mental Health for Adults
Young Minds - advice and help for young persons and their parents/family
Change, Grow, Live - confidential support for drug & alcohol issues, unhealthy relationships and sexual health
British Heart Foundation - Keeping healthy with heart conditions during Coronavirus
Diabetes UK - Keeping healthy with Diabetes during Coronavirus
These are today's important updates. Please click on the link to each to provide more information:
1. The surgery is operating a restricted access to each of its sites. Only those patients who have been spoken to by a doctor or one of our team to confirm their need to attend the surgery, will be admitted. There is no access to the surgery other than this. You can contact us by telephone or, for non-urgent matters, you can e-mail us at email@example.com. Please state which surgery you normally attend in the heading of your e-mail.
Access to The Gables Pharmacy - The in-house pharmacy located at The Gables Medicentre, 268 Holbrook Lane will also be affected by this restricted access to ensure the health and well being of all of our staff. If you need to collect medication, please report to the main front door of the surgery and the pharmacy will bring your medication to you.
2. There is inaccuarate information being circulated regarding patients needing "rescue packs" for asthma or COPD. You should continue to manage your respiratory condition as normal. If your condition worsens and you think you may be experiencing an exacerbation, please call the surgery and this will be managed as appropriate.
3. We will be authorising prescriptions to be sent electronically to your nominated pharmacy. You will need to nominate a pharmacy when contacted in order for this to be sent safely.
4. If you require any other documents, for example extensions to long-term sick notes / blood test forms etc. we will be arranging to e-mail these to you directly. Please let us know your e-mail address when we contact you.
5. We will be adding additional forms to this website for you to be able to manage and monitor your conditions at home and let us know your results. Click here for our forms
6. If your child is due immunisations, these will still go ahead, providing both you and your child are well. You will be contacted by one of our nurses to confirm your appointment.*** see the comment above
7. New patients wishing to register at one of our practices may still do so. We have added the registration forms which need to be completed and returned to us via e-mail.
8. If you need a note confirming your self-isolation status, please see this NHS 111 page to complete this on-line.
9. Pregnancy & Covid-19. The Royal College Of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists has issued up to date guidance and Q&As for you to refer to. Your appointments with the Community Midwife will continue currently, but please remember, we need to be able to maintain distance between one another. The appointments have been spaced apart. Please do NOT arrive early for your appointment and avoid bringin any other individuals with you to the appointment. The midwife team will only being patients who are more than 28 weeks pregnant on a face to face basis. All women who are earlier in their pregnancy will be contacted either by telephone / video link. Please ensure your contact details are up to date.
Our Current News stories include:
- Welcome to our new website
- Practice Newsletter
- Telephone Access
Read our news page...
Other News and Information
Patient Participation Group
Did you know we have a Patient Participation Group?
The purpose of the Patient Participation Group is to help us access and use your ideas for new projects, and gaining your views as to how the practice can improve and develop.Patient Group Page
Our lifestyles can be more unhealthy than we think. Start the fight back to a healthier you. Take the One You quiz and see how you score.
One You is here to help you get back to a healthier you. Take our quiz to see how you score.
Self Help Advice and Tools
Visit Self Help
111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It’s fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals.
Visit NHS 111
Use Patient Access to book an appointment, order repeat prescriptions and view your medical record.
How likely are you to recommend this Surgery to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment? Please spend 2 minutes to take the Friends and Family Test.
Take the Test
The NHS website. Take control of your health and wellbeing. Get medical advice, information about healthcare services and support for a healthy life.
Patient is one of the most trusted medical resources online, supplying evidence based information on a wide range of medical and health topics to patients and health professionals.